Butterfly Design Template for Birthday Card
This gorgeous lacy butterfly design is perfect for a template for a birthday card - so pretty and delicate, it's just right for wishing someone special a very Happy Birthday!
Perfect whether it's for a beloved daughter or grand-daughter, a mum, sister, or friend, or even a cherished grandma!
You can get creative with the colours and change them up a bit to suit the recipient and get a slightly different look every time you use the template! I'll share some ideas a bit later on...
Butterfly birthday card template including envelope
Here's a few things you need to know about using the butterfly design template for a birthday card:
- The butterfly card is made from 3 sheets of A4 or Letter-sized cardstock.
- The card has a finished size of around 12 x 12 cm (approx. 4.75 x 4.75 inches) when the SVG is used as-is in Cricut Design Space - the envelope is a little larger.
- The card template uses the standard sticky mat with your Cricut machine (rather than the specialist card mat).
- You will need to be able to score lines with your cutting machine (or delete these lines to score manually if you prefer) - the score lines make the card and the envelope fold. I have lots of help with setting up the score lines correctly in Cricut Design Space (step-by-step instructions) on this page - you may also find the page useful if you're using another type of cutting machine, or if you want to score the lines manually (without a machine).
- When the card is cut and scored, I have a follow-on craft tutorial to help you fold and assemble the card - you can find that here.
Gorgeous butterfly birthday card - pretty in pink!
I created the butterfly design template for a birthday card in these really pretty pink tones, with a dark purple inner card.
I think that these colours are lovely and delicate and suggest the airy nature of the butterfly. The dark purple gives a great contrast and the colours stand out against each other beautifully which really highlights the gorgeous butterfly design.
I also like to do an alternative colour idea to inspire you to get creative with colour - my alternative colour idea for the butterfly birthday card template is a lovely rich yellow, teamed up with dramatic black for the inner card and a warm orange envelope...
Where the pink is definitely pretty, feminine, and delicate, I tried to make the yellow design look bright, summery and cheerful - with quite a contemporary feel...
Lovely butterfly birthday card template - bright, bold and cheerful yellow and orange
I honestly can't decide which of these two colour ideas I like best!
Any pretty, pastel tones would suit the butterfly card template and give a look similar to the pink version - I'm loving the dark inner card I used, but you could definitely try a white inner card and it would still look brill!
If you like the bright version, try out some other bright colours of your own - think bold, summery colours, like bright flowers. Personally, I think black or white insert for the inner card will always look best against such bold tones and allow the design to take centre stage.
I love having a bit of fun with the envelope and going for a lovely colour combination - you can either opt for:
- the 'similar' choice (example - the darker pink against the pink card)
- the 'different' choice (example - strong orange against strong yellow - although these are still quite 'similar' - I could've tried a bright green or bright blue instead)
- the 'neutral' choice - a plain white or cream
Sending pretty butterfly wishes with this pretty card template
- I've made both of these butterfly birthday cards using Sizzix 'Surfacez' textured cardstock for the outer card (the part with the cut design).
- The inner card and envelope for each are made using a generic coloured craft cardstock (lightweight - 160gsm).
- I cut the outer cards using the 'Cardstock for intricate cuts' setting in Cricut Design Space.
- I cut the inner cards and envelopes using the 'Light Card' setting in Cricut Design Space.
Pretty papercut design - butterfly template for birthday card
Cutting file template for a butterfly birthday card
If you like the butterfly design template for a birthday card, you can get the cutting files for your machine from my Etsy store with instant download worldwide, at the link right below...
The step-by-step instructions for setting up the score lines to score correctly in Cricut Design Space are here - also useful even if you aren't a Cricut user.
The craft tutorial for folding and assembling the card is here.
I also include both of these links with your download purchase for you.